Research staff of the AdMaS Center of the Faculty of Civil Engineering of Brno University of Technology led by prof. Petr Hlavínek, received another one-year project financed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic in early 2023 entitled “Innovative use of biochar in substrates and underlying layers of green parking lots” from the Strengthening the capacities of public universities in developing countries program.
The main goal of the project is to strengthen and deepen knowledge of current findings in science and research in the sense of transferring experience from the Czech Republic (University of Technology in Brno, Faculty of Civil Engineering, AdMaS Center) to Bosnia and Herzegovina (University of Banja Luka, Faculty of Agriculture) in the area the use of a solid carbon product – biochar, produced from waste organic materials through pyrolysis/torrefaction technology for its subsequent use within the blue-green infrastructure of urbanized areas in accordance with the principles of the circular economy – specifically for the implementation of biochar in the substrates and cash layers of green parking lots.
The impact of project activities mainly assumes:
- preparation of the Ph.D. curriculum structure program with the University of Banja Luka,
- supplementing the education of university students and teachers in the area of the circular economy and their specific examples,
- increasing the qualifications of teaching and scientific-research workers and students in the field of blue-green infrastructure, specifically green parking lots, their innovative substrates and underlying layers including biochar,
- increasing intensive cooperation in research – implementation of biochar in the substrates and underlying layers of green parking lots in order to increase water retention, reduce surface runoff and create better microclimatic conditions in the built-up area,
- continuation of the evaluation of the findings from the testing of previously installed green roofs, solved in the framework of the previous project “Using biochar as materially transformed waste for extensive green roofs”,
- joint publication activity in the field of blue-green infrastructure.
From 28th till 31st May 2023, the first work trip of the research team took place to the University of Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina. As part of the international project solution, 3 experimental green parking lots were built, where the structural layer includes plastic grids made from waste (recycled plastic) and biochar (made from organic waste). Monitoring was installed (sensors in the body of the parking lot, Wi-Fi camera installation). Furthermore, there were meetings and partial negotiations with the management of the Institute and the University with the aim of starting work on a memorandum between the BUT in Brno and the University of Banja Luka. Expert training in circular economy and blue-green infrastructure for water management and biochar implementation took place. At the same time, the Faculty of Civil Engineering BUT was introduced and the possibilities of further cooperation were presented.
The currently resolved project follows on from the already initiated cooperation between the two educational and research institutions. The built green parking lot at the University of Banja Luka represents one of the elements of the blue-green infrastructure of cities and municipalities – its effectiveness will be monitored in the long term.
A “trunk” of three green parking spaces before installation; mounted grates made of recycled plastics
Completed three green parking spaces before grassing including installed monitoring system and signage
A snapshot of the construction and installation of the monitoring system
Sampling of experimental green roof modules built in 2022